Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

LeicesterExile wrote:

Bosworth Bear your name would suggest you should watch your cricket down at Grace Road!! Only joking, honest. I gave up my Warks membership a few years ago now as just found the M42/M6 journey such a chore and the country lane way always an issue when you hit the outskirts of the city.

Of course you are right - there should be some cricket played out in the county - hopefully this past week is the start.

I’m Nuneaton born and bred and played for Warwickshire at youth levels.

It’s common sense that Edgbaston is the County Ground but we should take games around the county too. We’ve always seemed to be more reluctant than other counties to do this. From what I can see is a big problem is every time even a rare game is taken away from Edgbaston a small group of vocal whingers start complaining that their entitlement is breached and they have had to travel. I’ve even seen this behaviour at agms when the idea is simply being proposed. I remember one where the Bishop of Coventry was very angry that county cricket had been taken away from Coventry.

I too am Nuneaton born and bred, with my first love of Cricket and Warwickshire starting in 1960, when as schoolboy I saw the County playing at Griff and Coton, which they did regularly those days. The flame ignited all those years years ago, for both the game and Warwickshire still burns as brightly 64 years later, a lifetime of enjoyment, in good times and bad, all because of games played at outgrounds. Griff and Coton, Coventry Courtaulds, Cov and North Warwick, Stratford and others, I even watched them play on two different grounds in Hinckley against Leicestershire. But the game these days is dictated and dominated by money, it is a different world in 2024 and the game itself has changed dramatically ......... although I firmly believe I very much saw the best times, but doesn't every generation, despite or maybe because, there was no 100 or even T20. I hope, but doubt, the success of Rugby School over the last couple of weeks will lead to the odd game played "in the sticks", how about a good old fashioned Rugby School Festival, although I do realise I am dreaming.

Haven't said we shouldn't be using outgrounds, if you look back through my posts I've been very consistent on this for quite a while. Just think 3 out of the 4 ODC games at Rugby School was too much. Mark Robinson even alluded to it himself before the Surrey game when he admitted we were conceding some home advantage. I feel 1 ODC game during the school holidays at Rugby School would be agreeable and then maybe a 4day game in May/June at a club ground would be better. Nuneaton or Cov would be great, we've played there before, would be a nod to our history.

Terrible anti Birmingham rhetoric in here though (I'm not Birmingham based anymore by the way, Lichfield now), must have been exhausting for you for so long. The Birmingham based members are the ones who attend the games regularly, yes they have the advantages of locality, but they are the ones attending through thick and thin. To them call them entitled is out of order.

To reiterate, very much in favour of outgrounds, also hugely in favour of Edgbaston Cricket Ground. Its a brilliant place and we've witnessed many incredible moments, tremendous support from Birmingham City Council added in, which makes the anti Birmingham vibe in here such a shame.

South-Coast-exile wrote:

I too am Nuneaton born and bred, with my first love of Cricket and Warwickshire starting in 1960, when as schoolboy I saw the County playing at Griff and Coton, which they did regularly those days. The flame ignited all those years years ago, for both the game and Warwickshire still burns as brightly 64 years later, a lifetime of enjoyment, in good times and bad, all because of games played at outgrounds. Griff and Coton, Coventry Courtaulds, Cov and North Warwick, Stratford and others, I even watched them play on two different grounds in Hinckley against Leicestershire. But the game these days is dictated and dominated by money, it is a different world in 2024 and the game itself has changed dramatically ......... although I firmly believe I very much saw the best times, but doesn't every generation, despite or maybe because, there was no 100 or even T20. I hope, but doubt, the success of Rugby School over the last couple of weeks will lead to the odd game played "in the sticks", how about a good old fashioned Rugby School Festival, although I do realise I am dreaming.

Sensible post.

In the days when we played regularly at Griff and Coton (Nuneaton) the club used to publish the attendances for county games in the Annual Report. Griff and Coton was always higher than all the Edgbaston games.

The Club also recognised members around the county by having a “country” membership at a reduced rate compared to those living nearer to Birmingham.

I have nothing against Birmingham I attend Villa matches every other week. I do object to a small minority of vested interests trying to sabotage playing around the county. They’ve tried to that all my life - and i was born on the day we won the championship in 72 - and it’s pathetic to be honest!

If only the ECB created a fixture list like in the days of the 40 over league and have the different formats played throughout the season instead of in blocks. That way an outground festival could be created whereby somewhere like Rugby could host a 4 day, T20 and a 50 over game all in a fortnight. (I've ignored the 16.4)
The ideal time to use a ground in the county is just before and during a test match when Edgbaston can't be used anyway.

Even the "Brummie Whingers" couldn't object........could they?

I was a Country Member for years, living in Nuneaton, whatever happened to those? Being in exile, where I am lucky is the brilliant "live streaming", which being retired allows me to watch matches from afar, the commentary and camera work is excellent, credit to all involved. But there is no substitute for a day (or Sunday 40 over afternoon) watching my beloved Warwickshire (not Birmingham Bears or Phoenix), sitting in the sunshine at Edgbaston or one of the long forgotten outgrounds, eating soggy sandwiches, bottle of "pop", players in pristine white, red ball (the crimson rambler), with a scorecard updated by the club during the day. Ah, the memories and at least the vintage scoreboard still survives, I need to make the 165 mile each way pilgrimage again soon, maybe September.

LeicesterExile wrote:

If only the ECB created a fixture list like in the days of the 40 over league and have the different formats played throughout the season instead of in blocks. That way an outground festival could be created whereby somewhere like Rugby could host a 4 day, T20 and a 50 over game all in a fortnight. (I've ignored the 16.4)
The ideal time to use a ground in the county is just before and during a test match when Edgbaston can't be used anyway.

Sadly the game has lost its soul and its way, still a great game though, but as with football ruined by greed and money.
Even the "Brummie Whingers" couldn't object........could they?

Ah the old chap coming round with the scorecards. Also he would come round with the Birmingham Mail - morning lunch and evening if my memory serves me right. As you say where has the time gone?

First place the late night final would get delivered too was the paper shop at Sir Harry's.

Super Moderator

There used to be two “evening” papers on sale all day - the Mail and the Despatch. Buying the latest edition and looking in the Stop Press column was the way to find all the latest scores, the equivalent of logging into Cricinfo on your phone.
The two papers eventually merged.

I KNOW NOTHING! (see earlier post for details.) Kai Smith. They can't nick him for the hundred can they?

Superb work.
Thought we were toast when Rhodes barbecued Burgess.

Great knock from Smith.
Time for a rematch with Glamorgan.