Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

One Day Cup time, great comp, great format.

Any squad news yet?

T Ali
Barnard
Benjamin
Booth
Burgess
Hannon-Dalby
Lintott
Miles
Rhodes
Shaikh
Wylie
Yates

The big news is that Barnard has been appointed captain with Yates as vice captain.
Simmons is ill and Smith's broken hand not fully recovered.

The one day cup is my favourite format. The final is at Trent Bridge on Sunday 22nd September...

Interesting squad

XI could be

Yates
Barnard
Rhodes
Shaikh
Burgess+
Benjamin
Wylie
Booth
Lintott
Miles
OHD

?

I think based on Hundred absentees and injuries that was pretty much the only squad it could have been.

Only other one who has been picked in prior years is Amir Khan, any knowledge of why he isn't involved?

I agree that the XI will be as above. I suspect it will pretty much stay as that unless any other withdrawals. If Lintott goes to Hundred at any point, T Ali will come in.

I've never known Amir Khan play 1st team cricket?

Sounds like we'll have Simmons, Kai Smith and Rushworth available at some point but yes we could do without more Hundred call ups.

KingofSpain wrote:

T Ali
Barnard
Benjamin
Booth
Burgess
Hannon-Dalby
Lintott
Miles
Rhodes
Shaikh
Wylie
Yates

The big news is that Barnard has been appointed captain with Yates as vice captain.

Kai Smith is playing for the Bears Under 18's in the 3 day match against Gloucester today. He got a 50.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

KingofSpain wrote:

The one day cup is my favourite format. The final is at Trent Bridge on Sunday 22nd September...

I agree, for me the 50 over is the most attractive form of cricket for spectators (though probably better when it was 60 and 55 over). Proper cricket, but a result on the day.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Would be interesting to hear what the truth is with Kai Smith. It seems Benjamin has replaced him wheres I would opine he needs to be in addition to him. Shame if it was just a straight replacement....

Makes sense with Simmons and hope to see him later in the comp.

The_Lickey_Banker wrote:

KingofSpain wrote:

T Ali
Barnard
Benjamin
Booth
Burgess
Hannon-Dalby
Lintott
Miles
Rhodes
Shaikh
Wylie
Yates

Kai Smith is playing for the Bears Under 18's in the 3 day match against Gloucester today. He got a 50.

It's a strong looking squad considering the absentees. Decent performances in this competition might get someone into the T20 knock outs team.

You'd like to think it could work that way but the T20 side looks fairly settled. Yates can maybe force his way in.

Essex have produced a good preview of our group here: https://essexcricket.org.uk/2024/07/22/metro-bank-one-day-cup-group-b-preview/

We won the toss and bowl first.

Taz Ali misses out. Theo Wylie makes his debut.

Essex teams looks decent with some extremely promising youngsters in it with some older heads like Westley and Nick Browne. All 11 have come through the Essex pathway and academy I believe.

Our team looks a bit light on batting, especially with Benjamin in the side. At least with 50 overs, he has a bit of time to play himself in if he is needed and I think he will be. Had Mousley, Ali and Bethell been available, doubt Benjamin would be there. If Burgess gets runs, I hope they consider him for the T20 quarter-final although it is a long way off.

I've mentioned it before but we have a couple of below par fielders in Benjamin and Booth.

They batted well (particularly Allison and Benkenstein in the middle) and they ran really hard, so credit to them.

But a poor fielding show from us, which is contrast to the blast, and some poor bowling. That last over from Miles was awful but sadly was also predictable.

Too much to chase now.

324-7, pathetic last over from Miles, you would think with his experience, he would know where to bowl but the last 3 balls all short and at that stage of the game what did he think the batsmen were going to do, tap for singles.

Craig Miles bowling half trackers at the death to a lad who is demonstrably very good on the pull.

Essex have managed a really good total without doing anything too outrageous, just good sensible batting and proactive running.

I don't fancy us here I must say, but it's a great opportunity for someone to make a bit of a name for themselves.

I feel a though that last over has put it beyond us. Miles, when you factor in that he also bowled 6 or 7 wides has had a bit of a mare. Imagine the effigy burning last season if Henry Brookes had bowled like that?!