Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Hamza Shaikh to captain England Men U19s in Sri Lanka Tests

[https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/4048618/hamza-shaikh-to-captain-england-men-u19s-in-sri-lanka-tests]

Congrats to him, and a great honour at any level!

Of him and Khan that debuted at the same time, he looks to be ahead at the moment.

Super Moderator

He'll be captaining the sons of two former England captains in Rocky Flintoff and Archie Vaughan plus Jaydn Denly who is the nephew of joe Denly.

Super Moderator

A century today for Hamza against Sri Lanka Under 19s. Cricinfo says that he displayed "an admirable work ethic, sound temperament and no little skill."

Super Moderator

Looks like Hamza has captained England to victory against Sri Lanka. I didn't see any of his hundred; but I did see yesterday morning's play at Cheltenham - and was massively impressed by Rocky Flintoff, still only 16 but playing like a veteran and becoming the youngest player ever to score a century for England under-19s/

Interested to see the Warks players at junior international level. Saw the clips of Flintoff but nothing of Hamza - the shame of the fact Hamza top scored! Hopefully he's free for the 50 over comp. Like to see him locked into the 4 or 5 slot for the tournament.

GerryShedd wrote:

Looks like Hamza has captained England to victory against Sri Lanka. I didn't see any of his hundred; but I did see yesterday morning's play at Cheltenham - and was massively impressed by Rocky Flintoff, still only 16 but playing like a veteran and becoming the youngest player ever to score a century for England under-19s/

Congratulations to Hamza for his century and also for captaining England to victory. Hope he gets a chance to play for us in the one day matches or even in the Championship.

One for people with long memories:
Which Warwickshire player captained England U19 against Sri Lanka U19 in 2010?

Paul Best?

Correct. I remember one incident in that series when England were well ahead in a 50 over game but in danger of being rained off without reaching the minimum overs. A catch came to Best who deliberately grassed it and chucked the ball back to the bowler to get the over finished. I don't think the bowler was too chuffed but it won the game.
County level cricket didn't really happen for Best and he eventually quit with a back injury, I believe.

Super Moderator

Hamza Shaikh 91 v Sri Lanka today.

Thanks for the reminder Terry. Saw this earlier and was intrigued to look up his recent red ball scores. If you disregard his Metro Bank scores he's in some nick. Anyone consider he's worth coming into the CC side before the end of the summer? Who would he replace in what's now an oddly very settled top six.

Tayls79 wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Terry. Saw this earlier and was intrigued to look up his recent red ball scores. If you disregard his Metro Bank scores he's in some nick. Anyone consider he's worth coming into the CC side before the end of the summer? Who would he replace in what's now an oddly very settled top six.

Bethell might need replacing if he is with the England white ball squad as is expected.

Honestly can't see any of the Warks players in the white ball squad. Bethell and Mouse have hardly scored a run since that Cricinfo article said it would happen. Hain seems to have disappeared. However, you never quite know with England. They always could pick someone purely on 'vibes' and Bethell does have a mullet.

Wolfy wrote:

Tayls79 wrote:

Bethell might need replacing if he is with the England white ball squad as is expected.