Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

I would think it’s difficult to gee yourself up for these final games. The end of a long season, nothing riding on the outcome, one man and his dog in the stands and not making Blast finals day will all have taken there toll on any enthusiasm the players may have had.

Tayls79 wrote:

I'd honestly give speculating about relationships in the squad a miss. We'll never know the true situation. We don't know whether it is disharmonious, toxic or anything else. In any other working environment it would be and should be here, confidential. All we do here by speculating on it is gossip.

100% not speculation.

Given the criticism for early starts often resulting in win the toss,win the match. Do you not think playing in September really calls for a later start rather than a n earlier start. This could be resolved by spreading the game over 5 days with a Noon start and having an early finish on 5th day. Just a thought.

Sorry, you can blame losing the toss, blame early start, blame the ball, blame the weather, blame end of a long season, blame whatever you like ......... this morning's effort ! was simply not good enough. I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories or community intelligence (gossip), but this has been a very poor season and something is just not right.

Fellow "Exile" I was not making an excuse for this morning's performance. Obviously they should be able to play the conditions better than that. My comment was really a general thing as the early start does have an effect in most games - hence the reason the season used to finish early September and cricket is normally played from 11am.

1030 start time is ridiculous.

They shouldn’t be playing this late in the year anyway but if they do so they need to reduce the number of overs in the day.

Everyone can remember when 1030 starts ruined every years Natwest Cup Finals. The year we should have won the quadruple we had to bat twice in two days in the final at 1030

I’ve called this out every game whether we win the toss or not, it’s ridiculous

Highveld wrote:

I'd suggest that Sam takes a total break from cricket for a few months, so his body and mind can be fully rested and repaired for next season.

Perhaps he has reached the stage where he needs a new challenge elsewhere. Going into the same toxic work enviroment everyday would get anyone down.

I wouldn't begrudge Hain going elsewhere for a fresh start. He has single-handedly held our batting together for about three years while surrounded by inconsistency and mediocrity. I've said for some time that our failure year after year to recruit an experienced and reliable middle order batsman takes its toll on the team.

78 all out is pathetic. Apparently Robinson is due to address the members at lunch on Thursday - perhaps he is hoping the game is finished before then and he can make a quick getaway, or he could do the decent thing and use the opportunity to give his resignation speech.

I was not getting at you Leicester Exile, we are all as frustrated as each other and I fully respect your views, I apologise if you thought I was. We have just not been good enough for most of the season, if not all, recruitment and retention is most concerning, yet again our overseas players have just not contributed enough. Our regular capitulation in limited over quarter finals after storming the group, speaks volumes, not to have reached finals day for years in an appalling indictment. Other counties with less resources and less of an attraction, seem to be able to recruit players from not only this country, but world wide .......... but our recruitment is abysmal and we are now losing another very good player to Durham, with a fast bowler we "nursed" for a few years, now taking wickets for England. Something a drastically wrong somewhere. IF we bowl Essex out for a low score, that will only paper over the cracks and it cannot continue, we will stay up because three other counties are also nowhere near good enough.

Fellow Exile No I didn't take it you were getting at me - just voicing your opinion thinking I was making excuses for a very poor performance. Frustration plays tricks with the mind and for me watching from a distance has had me screaming at the walls.

The overseas player issue has frustrated me for years. Why is there this obsession with must have an overseas player with very few exceptions they do not put bums on seats. So I have always maintained the player must be better than the Warwickshire player who he will replace which in turn attracts bigger support for a winning side. Donald, Pollock, Lara and Jeetan Patel readily come to mind.

We’ve definitely tried to over bowl on this pitch.
We’ve been searching for big swing and big movement, and that’s almost the opposite of what they did.
They stuck to the basics, top of off bowling, made us play as much as possible and it just did enough to miss the bat or find the edge.
Whereas we’ve gone looking for big movement (understandably considering the position we’re in) and it’s resulted in too many over pitched balls or balls on the legs, and then over compensating and going too short and wide.

BristolBear wrote:

We’ve definitely tried to over bowl on this pitch.
We’ve been searching for big swing and big movement, and that’s almost the opposite of what they did.
They stuck to the basics, top of off bowling, made us play as much as possible and it just did enough to miss the bat or find the edge.
Whereas we’ve gone looking for big movement (understandably considering the position we’re in) and it’s resulted in too many over pitched balls or balls on the legs, and then over compensating and going too short and wide.

Recruitment, retention, coaching and home grown players, are all key, not sure if the current key off the field personnel fulfil those requirements, I do know something is not right.

Tayls79 wrote:

I'd honestly give speculating about relationships in the squad a miss. We'll never know the true situation. We don't know whether it is disharmonious, toxic or anything else. In any other working environment it would be and should be here, confidential. All we do here by speculating on it is gossip.

I thought that is what sports forums are for? In addition there seems to be sufficient evidence to suggest that it’s way beyond gossip. It’s not gossip that’s doing for Hain, Yates, etc

Must add it to the list of "Forbidden" topics!

Looks like Rushworth is injured.

Administrator

Speculation is one thing but the whole “I know something that no one else does” thing is very tiresome. Either reveal your source or keep these rumours (which they will remain until they can be backed up with evidence) to yourself

Rushworth, hamstring! Is Davies on the pitch? Certainly not in evidence when the injury became evident or when Rushworth was speaking to the umpire or when he was leaving the field? Barnard takes a wicket when the captain is left with no option but to ask him to finish the Rushworth over!
My word we are in a mess.

@Rayb, a very good observation.

You would expect a, good captain (leader) to show some concern when a key member of his team became injured.
That applies to any workplace, not just the cricket field.

Administrator

Players leave the field for a variety of reasons throughout a championship match. It’s hardly unusual.

He had, very obviously, got a hamstring injury. Are you seriously suggesting that the captain should not check on his condition? If only to satisfy himself of his ongoing availability? And does every topic, or comment , now have to be approved for its subject, content and authenticity?

Administrator

I thought you meant that Davies was off the field when it happened…